Last night Mitch’s mom and I went to see Michelle Obama speak for her “Becoming” book tour. It was truly an inspiring experience. I was struck not only by how funny Michelle was (Yes, we’re on a first name basis, okay?) but also by how diverse, friendly, welcoming, and passionate the crowd was.
I couldn’t imagine a better night – Mexican food, margaritas, and encouraging, motivating thoughts from someone as admirable, driven, and talented as Michelle Obama.
The book itself, which I highly recommend, is amazing, but the conversation at the Frank Erwin Center was a candid, poignant, and at times funny look into who Michelle Obama was, how she became who she is now, and what she is becoming.
She asked the audience at the start of the show, “Who are you? And what are you becoming?” It opened with five local people on stage answering that very question, and I was inspired to answer it for myself.
Who Am I?
- A daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a dog mom, a friend.
- A writer who struggles to sit down and write.
- A reader who struggles to make time to read.
- A home cook who also eats out a lot.
- A freelancer who struggles but manages to make money from writing.
- A TV binge-watcher.
- An empath/a highly sensitive person who has been told too many times in life that I’m too sensitive.
- A person who wouldn’t give up coffee, cheese, or Mexican food for anything.
- Someone who owes their life and well-being to cognitive behavioral therapy and the therapist who took me on for virtually no pay simply because she knew I needed (and continue to need) it.
- A homebody who should be wearing an “I’d rather be at home with my dogs.” t-shirt everywhere I go.
- A Democrat/liberal who struggles with the pain of having different views than many of those closest to me.
- A person with an oddly wide knowledge of music trivia. (Just ask my trivia teammates who rely on me for the music rounds.)
- An advocate/ally who is dedicated to learning more about how I can be a better one.
- A highly anxious person.
- A talker.
- A dreamer who, most times, lacks the courage to actually dream.
- A believer in wishing on eyelashes, the messages of tarot cards, the effects of the moon cycles, and signs from the universe.
- A true-crime junkie.
- Someone who is harder on myself than literally anyone else.
- A Dallas Cowboys fan – not simply because of the team but because of how it bonds me to my Dad and Brother.
- Someone who is deeply flawed and not afraid to admit it.
- A member of a Mother/Daughter audiobook club.
- A soon-to-be homeowner.
- A person who believes, like Michelle Obama, in the power of hope.
Who Am I Becoming?
- Someone who loves and has compassion for all of these different parts of myself. Someone who hopefully, one day, will use the power of this love to eliminate the self-doubt, self-consciousness, and self-degradation that holds me back from reaching my full potential.
So what about you? Who are you? And what are you becoming?